Wednesday, August 12, 2009

firefly wonder

DSC_1984
the kids saw their first fireflies during our visit to tennessee. i have so many summer tennessee memories of watching these intriguing bugs, and i was just as excited as my children were to see the flying lights around my aunt norma's backyard. well, i take that back. i think caroline was just a little more excited than me. :)

DSC_1983
ethan could have stayed out there all night looking for these lightning bugs. shhh, don't tell him it's just one big mating festival!

DSC_1982
we caught one little guy, but i felt bad and let him go after a little bit. as a child, i remember catching them and watching them glow as i fell asleep only to find them dead the next morning. so i had pity on this one... go, little guy! go find your mate!

DSC_1977
this experience was by far one of the highlights of our trip for ethan. (get it!? highlights!??!) :)

3 comments:

Madison said...

It's Madison I just found your blog and for some reason I didn't know you had one. Now I have a new addition to my favorite blog list!!! I will defiantly be visiting often!!!

Love, Madison

Kristie said...

I bet they had too much fun. It was so neat to see the fire flies up in N.C. too. That is so great Madison found your blog. She is so into this blogging thing. You'll have to go and visit hers too. It is really cute.

Michael and Hannah said...

Oh how I miss fireflies!! I grew up looking out into fields so full of them it looked like Christmas lights! We need to start a petition to get them down here! ;o)